Funny story

Funny Story

Why I titled this post as that?
Because my previous post was too dark.

NAH.

Actually what I'm about to say... Apparently, only so few of my friends know. HAHA. Cos I just told them recently. At first I thought it was a bit dumb to say that's why I kept mum. Sorry Ben! :x Well, then later I realised that it's actually a huge contribution to this wonderful wonderful .... erm. okay I forgot the word I wanted to use.. but.. yeah. so here it goes.

So it's youth month. During YE, I received this slip of paper stating that there were some boxes to be ticked and I was notified that everyone had to tick at least one box. Hence, I ticked, "musicians". Well, I've always loved to play for worship in church.... ah see that.  That's what I thought.

A few days passed and I heard there were auditions up for actors, musicians, and what not. So I was - YES, I KNOW THAT AT THIS POINT OF TIME IT SHOULD BE SO OBVIOUS - mildly curious as to why musicians needed any auditions.. I mean, every other week when someone comes up to play for worship, I don't think they do auditions right? Hmm. Maybe Youth Month is special :O I guess it's necessary since it'll be sessions of a combination of both english and chinese congregations (youth only), leading to ... competition in playing for worship...? Lol. yes, my conclusion was weird. But I went for it anyway. So Shaunald told me to prepare my mind lah, like there'll be interview and stuff and I kinda need to prepare what I wanna say and so on. (Stuff like why I wanna be a musician and stuff..)

So I went for the audition. I gave an impromptu testimony. I stated my reason for being a musician ... and.... boom! I was in! I was so happy I don't know why. I was totally thinking about the fact that I could be the keyboardist every week. YES! And btw, this year I haven't been touching the keyboard.. almost.. at all. Had to lead worship that's why. ): No, doesn't mean I dread my "second role", but I really do miss playing the keyboard. Yup, so I was really excited to know that I'll be playing the keyboard every week! YAY!

On the side note, I did ask if I was gonna be playing every week in Youth Month. And the panel of judges said, "Yup! Most likely.. Of course!"

Hence, I was mislead further.

UNTIL ONE FINE DAY.

"Practice? Oh! okay!" There's practice for worship sessions so early now? I mean, it's not even July yet! Don't we normally have worship prac sessions right before the sessions itself? o.o Whoa... This Youth Month thing might be more imba than I thought.

*le me happily heading down for practice*

"Hey guys, so the director has proposed that for the musical..."

MUSICAL? WHAT MUSICAL?!?

"... payphone, a mesh-up... blahblahblah..."

WAIT. WHAT?! WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY? WHAT?!

"So... before that, why not we go one round of introduction?"

.... what... is.... going.... on...... O-O"

=.="

..

".... .. ... ... .. . .. ... .... OH. Erm, hi... I'm Vanessa.... From.. erm.. " Yeah and so on.

I was totally in a shock =.=" script? what? we're playing with the actors? ... ACTORS!? THAT'S WHY THERE WERE ACTORS?!!?  man am I slow.

Sigh. I'm gonna be working with a bunch of... wait, I'm the only english congregation person. T-T *sob... sob...* stage fright...... *sob.... sob....*

OTL

Well, I'll do a time skipping for the sake of time now 'cos I gotta go sleep soon haha.

And so, the musical is coming up soon and that's in about a weeks' time! OTL Scared. scared. But... really looking forward to it! Yes, how did I jump from A to B, huh?

Truth is, I have no idea. I guess bonding helped. A lot. Alvin, one of our band coordinators, is so hilarious! Yes, I really mean it. He's an amazing leader with some skills of an arranger, I might add. And the all-amazing Jian Hao! I heard he went overseas (with his band) to play before. O-O Whoa...... Haha, they seem so pro - at least in my eyes. I've never played with a band (secular songs) before, and this time it was my first. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Surprisingly, I could put in some stuff I learnt in school into what I played. Yea, I was using the COOL KEYBOARD MAN. SYNTHESIZER. OH YEAHHHHHHHH~~~

Stuff like during scenes where strings are needed, I would then apply "spread voicing" to make it sound less heavy (move towards close voicing as intensity builds up)... Well, depending on situations actually. I can't remember.

I guess we bonded really well and surprisingly we "leveled up" to a point where when we were somehow given a song to do for the finale, we totally nailed it in 30 minutes. OH YEAHHHHHHHH~~~~ Okay. But seriously, this is a huge leap for me.

Moving on.

The musical is nearing and I'd invited ... about 19 people. One couldn't come cos she was sick. But, really. I invited 18 people. and 18 people came. MIRACLE?!? :O :O Even my sister came! Yes, my sister is a backslided christian. She came along with her friend. Even though I know she came just to support me..... Well, let's just say, God works in wondrous ways right? He's stronger than anything & everything, nothing can thwart the plans He has for us. I was so glad they all came. Some of them even brought their friends along. THEIR OWN FRIENDS. TT-TT  OTL God, You are so so amazing.

Well, that being said, my pride was being put to the test. During our sound technical runs/rehearsals at the actual venue, the musicians were so loud that nobody could really hear the actors/actresses singing.... :\ Well our sound levels are controlled by the sound guy so that's settled, but... haha, poor drums :x Some of us had to turn down our volumes too.. Ah well, I can't really remember. But all in all, we were too loud and we needed to be softer.

I was very uncomfortable about this initially. This is because we've always be practicing at this volume and how come the sound guy was never there during our previous previous practices (even if not at the actual venue, should still turn up so that we know our volumes will be controlled and the sound guy can take more time to familiarise yourself with our sound levels.....) And of all times, the week of the performance, the sound guy then turns up only to feel stressed and stuff. Oh c'mon. I was already used to adjusted the volumes myself!

But I had no choice. On the day itself, I'll be wearing a pair of headphones (monitor) and I won't be able to hear what the audience hears... I had to trust the sound guy.

Look, I'm studying in a course that HAS GOT TO DO WITH WHATEVER THIS SOUND GUY IS DOING. Apparently, at my stage now, I'm learning the theory of it, the practical will be in the next sem. So... Whatever that is not fulfilled in my research - yes, in my assignment I conduct researches on this - I WILL BE SO..  MY BLOOD WILL JUST KEEP BOILING INSIDE IF YOU DON'T DO A GOOD JOB MAN.

Now, I was thinking about all of this.

Somehow, when I interact with my band members.. They have that vibe of that kind of level of spiritual maturity. When I talk to them. Somehow, I was hearing myself - if you get what I mean. I was so condescending in my tone. How did I know? Well, the reactions on their innocent faces. NOT SAYING THEY'RE INNOCENT KAY. I get bullied most of the time cos I'm the only girl (later found out it's their way of friendly communication). And yet, pampered, lol. whut? Ya la, in a sense they carry all the heavy stuff, just making sure I don't carry it xD Yeah, so back to the point.

I found myself places ridiculous expectations on people who're different. They're not professionals. They don't study in the same course as me. They - for all I know - have zero knowledge about all the things I've learnt that could be applied to whatever they're doing. Who am I to condescend them? I'm not all that great either.

Now, I'm not saying that if I'm the greatest sound engineer in this world I can condescend people like them. No. What I'm saying is, people grow in different areas. Different people are better in different things. Like me, I can't do chinese for NUTS. While others can score As and distinctions and what not. Yet those people don't condescend me. It's because we're all different, we're all unique, that we can bond and.. well, see how great our God is that despite our differences, we match. I don't really know how to explain this, I'm sorry. Just picture a jigsaw puzzle.

And so, I came to a point where I had to humble before God, realising my mistake and just, you know, let go and let God do the work. I trust in Him. I'll learn to trust in the sound guy. If he screws up, so be it. If God planned for ppl to be ministered in the musical, that plan will surely come to pass, screwed up sound levels or not.

On the day of the Musical itself, I liked how they planned things out. Once whoever is done doing whatever job, whoever is free, go to the cry room (the available, quiet room, meant for mothers to tend to their babies) to pray in a group.

So we went a few rounds. During the last round before we wrapped up and headed out for dinner, we were praying for friends whom we've invited.

Erm. 16 friends. lol. okay.

I prayed a really long prayer, but nope, wasn't cos of the many friends I invited. I was praying hard for my sis.. that I cried - cry room so apt. I was glad the people whom I was praying with were very comforting and they didn't mind the wait, offered tissues, still very immersed in the Spirit, praying. This, I told myself, it what's lacking in YE. I cannot wait to see YE becoming like this. It's simply so wonderful, so amazing. I wasn't the only one who cried, it turns out. And that itself was comforting to me. God is amazing.

Well, my nose was all too red to head out there for people to see and ask what happened and so on, and I don't want everyone to see my red nose later during the musical so I had to put on my concealer there ._." hehe. Anyways, during the musical, there were mistakes, there were impromptu things. I was a little agitated, but... I thought back about the previous incident that humbled me, brought me back to God once again. And I was .. at peace. And just simply so satisfied with the musical. :) The attention was mostly all on the actors/actresses (well, until the finale hehe oops. that was NOT rehearsed okay.), which is a good thing! :D :D

I was glad my sis and her friend enjoyed it. "Good job on the musical, your music was cool. haha. Have some free ramen!" And she placed 3 free ramen coupons at my table one fine morning. **touched to tears**

My friends enjoyed too... I'm actually so glad some of them filled in the feedback form lol. xD

Yup, and so.. that's my overall experience... Funny story, huh? ;)

Comments