A Thousand Years

A Thousand Years


~

Cold sweat and sweaty palms
A scream in my dream, a tear in my eye
Pictures flashing, sudden qualm
Back straightened up, then collapsed with a sigh

Fingers running through thin strands of hair
A song, a story, I've always dreaded
Always the heavy lump of despair
A huge amount of energy wasted

There I lay,
Rolling around,
All wrapped up
Beads of perspiration flowing down

But still the frostiness lingers
The Lie, I convinced myself no longer
I bit my lower lip and swallowed
Eyes closed, clenched fist

Hunger for warmth grew every second
Words in my mind were a thousand
It moved, my mouth, it opened wide
Not a sound heard, I tried, tried, tried...

Taking a deep breath in,
Shaky, but steady, I held it in
One more day -- I lied to myself again --
It'll all be gone -- all this pain.

~

Comments